Saturday, August 16, 2008

Phase 1 of Fall Y'all

As most of you know, I'm a fall fanatic! I LOVE the fall. Maybe because my favorite color is orange? Yes, honey, it still is:) I have a gallon of Pumpkin Spice Benjamin Moore paint I need to paint somewhere:) So August is when I bring out the grapes, the dried grape vines, the eggplant and green fabrics to drape around the house, more wrought iron and the wonderful scent of Mulled Wine from Illuminations. September I add a harvest touch with mums and such. October I did it last year and plan to do it this year, but go white and black! I love that look. November turkeys, feathers and so on......Well, due to the move, I have neglected my fall decor. I actually got rid of a lot of decor. Not just for fall, but I wiped out Easter and St. Patty's Day. Downsizing is tough my friends:) I have decided though to go more green in decorating:) It's so easy to do so for fall though, and you don't have to store it in the garage! Use candy corn in vases with a yummy vanilla candle, lots of pumpkins and gourds, acorns, oh and a few mums and corn stalk. Take a trip to Idylwild and collect the big pine cones or have connections with people on the east coast who can send you lovely fall leaves. Mom and Dad, don't forget mine on your yearly trip to the east coast! Replace your framed photos with seasonal photos from last year. Oh, did I tell you about the new scents at Illuminations? So word to the wise, you always try to burn a sweet and spice or warm scented candle at the same time. For the summer, I love gardenia and lilac. For fall I love mulled wine and pomegranate and for winter...well this year the new scent Cinnamon bark and vanilla. I usually go for chestnut and pumpkin. Lighting is huge for decor. I love to get the new light bulbs that have the amber tent to them. Not it's not green savvy, but oh so pretty! Spend the extra $25 and put a dimmer switch on some of your main lights. Or you can stalk up during Christmas will all of the cool light gadgets. Last year I bought this 3 switch remote control. I have two lights on the piano hooked up to one, the champagne rack and the Christmas tree. With the touch of a button I can turn them on and off. In the nursery I have the pedal plug switch for the two scones I hung on the wall. I didn't have to pay to have electrical boxes installed into the wall. Anyway, I'm rambling. I could go on about decor. It's so easy to do. Even if it's just your dining room table or entry, welcoming you home. Decorate!!!!

1 comments:

Sarah B. said...

So I am loving this post. I just went to Illuminations to see what scents I could start using and I got Mulled Wine....loved it and can't wait to put it out (I was told I have to wait until school starts because that is the end of summer). I usually get pumpkin but all they had was pumpkin with something I didn't like....now I have to find a pumpkin one. Now that we have decided on NOT buying a house I was informed I am allowed to spend some of that money towards decor for the seasons...and I am looking forward to fall. :) Any advice for the cheap?...wait, Itake that back, the thrifty. :)